Sunday, March 29, 2015

15/5 for week of 3/23


1.      I am the Instruction Designer for the project.  So my task this week was to finish writing the Instructional Strategy, meet with the team on our path forward, record the Instructional Strategy screen cast.  I spent about six hours on all of that and am 100% finished.  At our team meeting, I also committed to reviewing the outlined content for at least four pages of our course.  I reviewed, edited and approved the outlined content for the first several pages of our course and posted that update for my teammates.  I estimate that I am about 1/3 of the way complete reviewing the outline.

2.      Reflection:
What did I do?  I completed the editing work on the Instructional Strategy and got the document and screen cast both posted by the deadline.

What was important about what I did?  This is important because the strategy document allows further design elements to be accessed and considered by the client and teammates. 

When did I do this before?  Where could I use this again?  I have written many planning reports on various documents, but this was the first report where I identified and justified a specific teaching philosophy for a project.  This process could be used for any instruction design project for which any number of instruction models could be used.  This provides a black and white way of evaluating the potential of a model vs what deliverable is needed. 

Do I see any patterns or relationships in what I did?  Writing in stages over time helps me identify what works well vs what works badly before I am deeply committed to a given path forward.  For example, I was not committed to the Direct Instruction model this time two weeks ago.  It was the process of thinking, reading, writing, and reflecting that brought me to that choice.   

How well did I do?  What worked?  Improve?  I did a good job of writing a first draft, and letting it sit for a few days; when I got back to it, with my teammates feedback, the needed edits were more obvious than they were previously.  I researched the model some more and developed a better explanation and rationale for my choice. 

What should I do next?  What’s my plan / design?  Our team’s task now is to prepare the instruction content and the course’s interface.   As the Instructional Designer, I am reviewing the outlined content, and editing where I see appropriate.  I want to avoid being a bottle neck to the development process, so I will work hard this week and next to finish reviewing the outlined content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment