Sunday, March 1, 2015

Week of 2/22



1.      My task this week was to read DCC Ch. 8 and as the lead instructional designer, start work on the curriculum map and content analysis.  It is due 3/22, but I wanted to get a strong start.  So I’ve expanded on each instructional objective.  For each of our four objectives, I’ve specified the pre-instructional activities, content presentation, learner participation expectations, assessment strategy, and follow through technique.

I had this prepared in time for our team meeting Sat 2/28 afternoon.  I spent about 4 hours reading and drafting and another 1.5 hours with my team mates reviewing the draft and our WBS.  I estimate that I am 33% of the way through.

I want to flesh out the draft with respect to the feedback from my team mates and also review again the asset materials given to us by our client.  With that material, I will develop a curriculum map and specific exercises to incorporate into the lesson, meeting the objectives.

2.      What did I do?  I read our assigned text which directly related to my team assignment.  I also began work on our instructional strategy/content analysis and got feedback from my teammates.  I did not have a hard deadline on this, but I wanted to have a good draft prepared for our team meeting on Sat., so I met that goal.

What was important about what I did?  Did I meet my goals?  This is important because it is easier to compare goals vs plan in this black/white type document.  We were able to give attention to each individual and specific instructional objective and the strategies that I had outlined.  With each of the four discussions (four objectives) my teammates and I were able to identify contributory features that we could add to the content.  So we met our goals.

When did I do this before?  Where could I use this again?   I have conducted in depth analyses on other project types, although not for an online training product.  The depth of planning discussion definitely contributes to the depth of the product.  I will be able to use this analysis method in future instruction design projects.

Do I see any patterns or relationships in what I did?  Yes, I had followed my tried and true strategy for times when I am feeling unsure of a project’s directions.  I started documenting the facts of which I was sure, the opinions and facts that I suspected (those grey areas) and included my questions or notes around my grey areas.  In some cases, the grey areas firm up in my mind over the week’s time and I edit the document to reflect that, and in other cases, I put forth my questions to my teammates.  They helped me firm up my vision of the product.  This has been a consistently workable strategy for me---documenting what I know, growing the documentation with moderate quality info and getting feedback.

How well did I do?  What worked?  What do I need to improve?  My write-over-time approach works well for me.  I was able to articulate my reasoning behind my justifications and took notes on my teammates’ feedback.  So I will be able to work all of that in for an improved draft.

What should I do next?  What’s my plan / design?  I have been paying attention to Daniel’s leadership style, and the WBS organization, both of which I value. 

1 comment:

  1. I notice my posts are getting more and more long winded. I will put a not in my calender for 3/8 to be more concise.

    ReplyDelete